[gpfsug-discuss] Future of Spectrum Scale support for Centos

Christian Vieser christian.vieser at 1und1.de
Wed Aug 18 14:07:50 BST 2021

Hi out there.

Since CentOS 8 support ends end of this year (in favour of CentOS Stream
8), it's time to make decisions where to move.

There are two forks of CentOS, Alma and Rocky Linux, but nobody knows
whether they will survive the next years. Then there is Oracle Linux,
but there is always some threat that Oracle will turn it into a paid
product any time.

With CentOS Stream we probably will see more often new kernels that are
not supported by the actual Spectrum Scale version, as we have already
seen it from time to time with RHEL/CentOS. So this means more testing
and manual work with pinning kernel versions on our clusters.

We just successfully passed an evaluation of Oracle Linux and decided to
move there with several products running on CentOS. Only restraint with
Spectrum Scale was, that we had to fake the /etc/os-release when
configuring object service, since the mmobj command has some specific
code distinguishing between RHEL and CentOS and fails with other release
identifiers.

I would like to hear from other CentOS users here: Where are you moving
to? What are your reasons?

@IBM: What will happen to release specific code in Spectrum Scale, at
present differing between CentOS and RHEL? Will there be support for
Alma/Rocky/Oracle Linux? Do we have to raise RFEs for this?

Thank you very much,

Christian