[gpfsug-discuss] Portability interface

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 15:57:00 BST 2020

On 22/09/2020 16:47, Truong Vu wrote:
> You are correct, the "identical architecture" means the same machine
> hardware name as shown by the -m option of the uname command.

Thanks for clearing that up. It just seemed something of a blindly
obvious statement; surely nobody would expect an RPM for an Intel based
machine to install on a PowerPC machine? that I though it might be
referring to something else.

I mean you can't actually install an x86_64 RPM on a ppc64le machine as
the rpm command will bomb out telling you it is from an incompatible
architecture if you try. It's why you have noarch packages which can be
installed on anything.