[gpfsug-discuss] Portability interface

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Tue Sep 22 14:50:34 BST 2020

We've used the same built RPMs (generally built on Intel) on Intel and AMD
x86-64 CPUs, and definitely have a mix of ISAs from both vendors, and
haven't run into any problems.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:18:05AM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

> I have a question about using RPM's for the portability interface on
> different CPU's.
>
> According to /usr/lpp/mmfs/src/README
>
>    The generated RPM can ONLY be deployed to the machine with
>    identical architecture, distribution level, Linux kernel version
>    and GPFS version.
>
> So does this mean that if I have a heterogeneous cluster with some machines
> on  Skylake and some on Sandy Bridge but all running on say RHEL 7.8 and all
> using GPFS 5.0.5 I have to have different RPM's for the two CPU's?
>
> Or when it says "identical architecture" does it mean x86-64, ppc etc. and
> not variations with the x86-64, ppc class? Assuming some minimum level is
> met.
>
> Obviously the actual Linux kernel being stock RedHat would be the same on
> every machine regardless of whether it's Skylake or Sandy Bridge, or even
> for that matter an AMD processor.
>
> Consequently it seems strange that I would need different portability
> interfaces. Would it help to generate the portability layer RPM's on a Sandy
> Bridge machine and work no the presumption anything that runs on Sandy
> Bridge will run on Skylake?
>

> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
> HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
> University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG

-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department (UW Medicine), System Administrator
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
-- Pronouns: He/Him/His