[gpfsug-discuss] Best of spectrum scale

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Wed Sep 9 15:04:27 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:02:53PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> On 08/09/2020 18:37, IBM Spectrum Scale wrote:
> > I think it is incorrect to assume that a command that continues
> > after detecting the working directory has been removed is going to
> > cause damage to the file system.
>
> No I am not assuming it will cause damage. I am making the fairly reasonable
> assumption that any command which fails has an increased probability of
> causing damage to the file system over one that completes successfully.

I think there is another angle here, which is that this command's output
has the possibility of triggering an "oh ----" (fill in your preferred
colorful metaphor here) moment, followed up by a panicked Ctrl-C. That
reaction has the possibility of causing its own problems (i.e. not sure if
mmafmctl touches CCR, but aborting it midway could leave CCR inconsistent).
I'm with Jonathan here: the command should fail with an informative
message, and the admin can correct the problem (just cd somewhere else).

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department (UW Medicine), System Administrator