[gpfsug-discuss] SC20 Sessions - Dates and times are settled, please join us!

Christopher Black cblack at nygenome.org
Fri Oct 30 14:19:24 GMT 2020

Could you talk about upcoming work to address excessive prefetch when reading small fractions of many large files?
Some bioinformatics workloads have a client node reading relatively small regions of multiple 50GB+ files. We've seen this trigger excessive prefetch bandwidth (especially on 16MB block filesystem). Investigation shows that much of the prefetched data is never read, but cache gets full, evicts blocks, then more prefetch happens. We can avoid this by turning prefetch off, but that reduces speed of other workloads that read full files sequentially.  Turning prefetch on and off based on job won't work well for our users.

We've heard this would be addressed in gpfs 5.1 at the earliest and have provided an example workload to devs. They've done some great analysis and determined the problem is worse on large (16M) block filesystems (which are now the recommended and default on new ess filesystems with sub-block allocation enabled).

Best,
Chris