[gpfsug-discuss] Services on DSS/ESS nodes

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 7 11:28:55 BST 2020

Agreed ...

Report to me a pdisk is failing in my monitoring dashboard we use for *everything else*.
Tell me that kswapd is having one of those days.
Tell me rsyslogd has stopped sending for some reason.
Tell me if there are long waiters on the hosts.
Read the ipmi status of the host to tell me an OS drive is failed, or the CMOS battery is flat or ...

Whilst the GUI has a bunch of this stuff, in the real world the rest of us have reporting and dashboarding from many more systems...

Simon

On 07/10/2020, 00:45, "gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf of Valdis Klētnieks" <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf of valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2020 10:55:05 -0000, "Andrew Beattie" said:

    > Why do you need to run any kind of monitoring client on an IO server the
    > GUI / performance monitor already does all of that work for you and
    > collects the data on the dedicated EMS server.

    Does *ALL* that work for me?

    Will it toss you an alert if your sshd goes away, or if somebody's tossing
    packets that iptables is blocking for good reasons, or any of the many other
    things that a competent sysadmin wants to be alerted on that aren't GPFS, but
    which are things that Nagios and Zabbix and similar tools were invented
    to track?