[gpfsug-discuss] Services on DSS/ESS nodes

Luis Bolinches luis.bolinches at fi.ibm.com
Sun Oct 4 10:29:34 BST 2020

Hi

As stated on the same link you can do remote mounts from each other and be a supported setup.

“ You can use the remote mount feature of IBM Spectrum Scale to share file system data across clusters.”

--
Cheers

> On 3. Oct 2020, at 20.16, Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On 03/10/2020 12:19, Luis Bolinches wrote:
>> Are you mixing those ESS DSS in the same cluster? Or you are only
>> running DSS
>
> Only running DSS. We are too far down the rabbit hole to ever switch to
> ESS now.
>
>> Mixing DSS and ESS in the same cluster is not a supported configuration.
>
> I know, it means you can never ever migrate your storage from DSS to ESS
> without a full backup and restore. Who with any significant amount of
> storage is going to want to do that? The logic behind this escapes me,
> or perhaps in that scenario IBM might relax the rules for the migration
> period.
>

>> You really need to talk with Lenovo as is your vendor. The fact that in
>> your region your support is being given by an IBMer or not is not a
>> relevant point. High enough in the chain always will end at IBM on any
>> region as GNR is IBM tech for 17 years (yes 17) so if weird enough even
>> on regions where Lenovo might do even third level it might end on
>> development and/or research. But that is a Lenovo/IBM agreement not you
>> and IBM.
>> So please get the support statement from Lenovo about this and pls share
>> it if you want/can so we all learn their position.
>
> Will attempt that, though I do think it should be a supported config out
> the box :-)
>

> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
> HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
> University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG

Ellei edellä ole toisin mainittu: / Unless stated otherwise above:
Oy IBM Finland Ab
PL 265, 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Business ID, Y-tunnus: 0195876-3
Registered in Finland