[gpfsug-discuss] AFM experiences?

Flanders, Dean dean.flanders at fmi.ch
Mon Nov 23 17:58:12 GMT 2020

Hello Rob,

We looked at AFM years ago for DR, but after reading the bug reports, we avoided it, and also have had seen a case where it had to be removed from one customer, so we have kept things simple. Now looking again a few years later there are still issues, IBM Spectrum Scale Active File Management (AFM) issues which may result in undetected data corruption<https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-spectrum-scale-active-file-management-afm-issues-which-may-result-undetected-data-corruption>, and that was just my first google hit. We have kept it simple, and use a parallel rsync process with policy engine and can hit wire speed for copying of millions of small files in order to have isolation between the sites at GB/s. I am not saying it is bad, just that it needs an appropriate risk/reward ratio to implement as it increases overall complexity.

Kind regards,

Dean