[gpfsug-discuss] Mounting filesystem on top of an existing filesystem

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 19 15:49:30 GMT 2020

On 19/11/2020 15:34, Caubet Serrabou Marc (PSI) wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a filesystem holding many projects (i.e., mounted under
> /projects), each project is managed with filesets.
>
> I have a new big project which should be placed on a separate filesystem
> (blocksize, replication policy, etc. will be different, and subprojects
> of it will be managed with filesets). Ideally, this filesystem should be
> mounted in /projects/newproject.
>

> Technically, mounting a filesystem on top of an existing filesystem
> should be possible, but, is this discouraged for any reason? How GPFS
> would behave with that and is there a technical reason for avoiding this
> setup?
>
> Another alternative would be independent mount point + symlink, but I
> really would prefer to avoid symlinks.

This has all the hallmarks of either a Windows admin or a newbie
Linux/Unix admin :-)

Simply put /projects is mounted on top of whatever file system is
providing the root file system in the first place LOL.

Linux/Unix and/or GPFS does not give a monkeys about mounting another
file system *ANYWHERE* in it period because there is no other way of
doing it.