[gpfsug-discuss] Migrate/syncronize data from Isilon to Scale over NFS?

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 18 23:05:40 GMT 2020

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 11:48:52 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard said:

> So what do I mean by "wacky" characters. Well remember a file name can
> have just about anything in it on Linux with the exception of '/', and

You want to see some fireworks?  At least at one time, it was possible to use
a file system debugger that's all too trusting of hexadecimal input and create
a directory entry of '../'. Let's just say that fs/namei.c was also far too trusting,
and fsck was more than happy to make *different* errors than the kernel was....

> The obvious ones are spaces, but it's not just ASCII 0x20, but tabs too.
> Then there is the use of the wildcard characters, especially '?' but
> also '*'.

Don't forget ESC, CR, LF, backticks, forward ticks, semicolons, and pretty much
anything else that will give a shell indigestion. SQL isn't the only thing prone to
injection attacks.. :)