[gpfsug-discuss] Migrate/syncronize data from Isilon to Scale over NFS?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Nov 17 19:45:29 GMT 2020

On 17/11/2020 15:55, Simon Thompson wrote:

>>     Fortunately, we seem committed to GPFS so it might be we never have to do
>>     another bulk transfer outside of the filesystem...
>
> Until you want to move a v3 or v4 created file-system to v5 block sizes __

You forget the v2 to v3 for more than two billion files switch. Either
that or you where not using it back then. Then there was the v3.2 if you
ever want to mount it on Windows.

> I hopes we won't be doing that sort of thing again...

Yep, going to be recycling my scripts in the coming week for a v4 to v5
with capacity upgrade on our DSS-G. That basically involves a trashing
of the file system and a restore from backup.

Going to be doing the your data will be restored based on a metric of
how many files and how much data you have ploy again :-)

I too hope that will be the last time I have to do anything similar but
my experience of the last couple of decades says that is likely to be a
forlorn hope :-(

I speculate that one day the 10,000 file set limit will be lifted, but
only if you reformat your file system...