[gpfsug-discuss] Migrate/syncronize data from Isilon to Scale over NFS?

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Tue Nov 17 14:59:43 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 01:53:43PM +0000, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> On 17/11/2020 11:51, Andi Christiansen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > thanks for all the information, there was some interesting things
> > amount it..
> >
> > I kept on going with rsync and ended up making a file with all top
> > level user directories and splitting them into chunks of 347 per
> > rsync session(total 42000 ish folders). yesterday we had only 14
> > sessions with 3000 folders in each and that was too much work for one
> > rsync session..
>
> Unless you use something similar to my DB suggestion it is almost inevitable
> that some of those rsync sessions are going to have issues and you will have
> no way to track it or even know it has happened unless you do a single final
> giant catchup/check rsync.
>
> I should add that a copy of the sqlite DB is cover your backside protection
> when a user pops up claiming that you failed to transfer one of their
> vitally important files six months down the line and the old system is
> turned off and scrapped.

That's not a bad idea, and I like it more than the method I setup where we
captured the output of find from both sides of the transfer and preserved
it for posterity, but obviously did require a hard-stop date on the source.

Fortunately, we seem committed to GPFS so it might be we never have to do
another bulk transfer outside of the filesystem...

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department (UW Medicine), System Administrator