[gpfsug-discuss] Mounting filesystem on top of an existing filesystem

Caubet Serrabou Marc (PSI) marc.caubet at psi.ch
Thu Nov 19 15:34:39 GMT 2020

Hi,

I have a filesystem holding many projects (i.e., mounted under /projects), each project is managed with filesets.

I have a new big project which should be placed on a separate filesystem (blocksize, replication policy, etc. will be different, and subprojects of it will be managed with filesets). Ideally, this filesystem should be mounted in /projects/newproject.

Technically, mounting a filesystem on top of an existing filesystem should be possible, but, is this discouraged for any reason? How GPFS would behave with that and is there a technical reason for avoiding this setup?

Another alternative would be independent mount point + symlink, but I really would prefer to avoid symlinks.

Thanks a lot,

Marc

Paul Scherrer Institut
High Performance Computing & Emerging Technologies
Marc Caubet Serrabou
Building/Room: OHSA/014
Forschungsstrasse, 111
5232 Villigen PSI