[gpfsug-discuss] Poor client performance with high cpu usage of mmfsd process

Czauz, Kamil Kamil.Czauz at Squarepoint-Capital.com
Wed Nov 11 22:29:31 GMT 2020

We regularly run into performance issues on our clients where the client seems to hang when accessing any gpfs mount, even something simple like a ls could take a few minutes to complete.   This affects every gpfs mount on the client, but other clients are working just fine. Also the mmfsd process at this point is spinning at something like 300-500% cpu.

The only way I have found to solve this is by killing processes that may be doing heavy i/o to the gpfs mounts - but this is more of an art than a science.  I often end up killing many processes before finding the offending one.

My question is really about finding the offending process easier.  Is there something similar to iotop or a trace that I can enable that can tell me what files/processes and being heavily used by the mmfsd process on the client?

-Kamil
Confidentiality Note: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. We will use any personal information you give to us in accordance with our Privacy Policy which can be found in the Data Protection section on our corporate website www.squarepoint-capital.com. Please note that e-mails may be monitored for regulatory and compliance purposes. Thank you for your cooperation.