[gpfsug-discuss] Multi-cluster question (was Re: gpfsug-discuss Digest, Vol 100, Issue 32)

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Sun May 31 10:31:34 BST 2020

On 29/05/2020 20:55, Stephen Ulmer wrote:
> I have a question about multi-cluster, but it is related to this thread
> (it would be solving the same problem).
>
> Let’s say we have two clusters A and B, both clusters are normally
> shared-everything with no NSD servers defined.

Er, even in a shared-everything all nodes fibre channel attached you
still have to define NSD servers. That is a given NSD has a server (or
ideally a list of servers) that arbitrate the disk. Unless it has
changed since 3.x days. Never run a 4.x or later with all the disks SAN
attached on all the nodes.

> We want cluster B to be
> able to use a file system in cluster A.  If I zone the SAN such that
> cluster B can see all of cluster A’s disks, can I then define a
> multi-cluster relationship between them and mount a file system from A on B?
>
> To state it another way, must B's I/O for the foreign file system pass
> though NSD servers in A, or can B’s nodes discover that they have
> FibreChannel paths to those disks and use them?

My understanding is that remote cluster mounts have to pass through the
NSD servers.