[gpfsug-discuss] Importing a Spectrum Scale a filesystem from 4.2.3 cluster to 5.0.4.3 cluster

Prasad Surampudi prasad.surampudi at theatsgroup.com
Thu May 28 23:31:04 BST 2020

We have two scale clusters, cluster-A running version Scale 4.2.3 and RHEL6/7 and Cluster-B running Spectrum Scale  5.0.4 and RHEL 8.1. All the nodes in both Cluster-A and Cluster-B are direct attached and no NSD servers. We have our current filesystem gpfs_4 in Cluster-A  and new filesystem gpfs_5 in Cluster-B. We want to copy all our data from gpfs_4 filesystem into gpfs_5 which has variable block size.  So, can we map NSDs of gpfs_4 to Cluster-B nodes and do a mmexportfs of gpfs_4 from Cluster-A and mmimportfs into Cluster-B so that we have both filesystems available on same node in Cluster-B for copying data across fiber channel? If mmexportfs/mmimportfs works, can we delete nodes from Cluster-A and add them to Cluster-B without upgrading RHEL or GPFS versions for now and  plan upgrading them at a later time?