[gpfsug-discuss] SSUG Events 2020 update

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 22:10:11 GMT 2020

Unfortunately, due to the escalating COVID-19 situation, this year we’re having to cancel the London user group meeting. We’re aware that IBM has cancelled a number of events through to the end of Q2, and whilst we’re independent of IBM, we rely on them to support the group with speakers and so we’ve taken the decision to cancel.

Having spoken briefly with Ulf, Kristy and Bob, we’re hoping to bring a digital event of some sort though we need to work out the logistics of doing this and how we make sure it works for the community. We all recognise that the in-person meetings are better, but this year it looks like we’re going to struggle to run one for the foreseeable future!

Thanks go to the sponsors who’d signed up to support us for this year’s UK event – OCF, Lenovo, StarFish and NVIDIA.

UK Group Chair

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of "chair at spectrumscale.org" <chair at spectrumscale.org>
Reply to: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date: Thursday, 5 March 2020 at 22:35
To: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] SSUG Events 2020 update

Registration is open for the May UK meeting. We plan to review 3 weeks before the event in w/c 20th April:

  *   current situation
  *   number of registrations
  *   any travel restrictions in place for speakers/IBM/attendees

There is also a new user day open for registration at:


From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of "chair at spectrumscale.org" <chair at spectrumscale.org>
Reply to: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date: Friday, 28 February 2020 at 08:55
To: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: [gpfsug-discuss] SSUG Events 2020 update

Hi All,

I thought it might be giving a little bit of an update on where we are with events this year.

  *   As you may know, SCAsia was cancelled in its entirety due to Covid-19 in Singapore and so there was no SSUG meeting.
  *   In the US, we struggled to find a venue to host the spring meeting and now time is a little short to arrange something for the end of March planned date.
  *   The IBM Spectrum Scale Strategy Days in Germany in March are currently still planned to happen next week.
  *   For the UK meeting (May), we haven’t yet opened registration but are planning to do so next week. We currently believe that as an event with 120-130 attendees, this is probably very low risk, but we’ll keep the current government advice under review as we approach the date. I would suggest that if you are planning to travel internationally to the UK event that you delay booking flights/book refundable transport and ensure you have adequate insurance in place in the event we have to cancel the event.
  *   For ISC in June, we currently don’t have a date, nor any firm plans to run an event this year.

Simon Thompson
UK group chair

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://gpfsug.org/pipermail/gpfsug-discuss_gpfsug.org/attachments/20200316/2885d02d/attachment-0002.htm>

More information about the gpfsug-discuss mailing list