[gpfsug-discuss] mmbackup monitoring

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 10:01:04 GMT 2020

What is the best way of monitoring whether or not mmbackup has managed
to complete a backup successfully?

Traditionally one use a TSM monitoring solution of your choice to make
sure nodes where backing up (I am assuming mmbackup is being used in
conjunction with TSM here).

However mmbackup does not update the backup_end column in the
filespaceview table (at least in 4.2) which makes things rather more
complicated.

The best I can come up with is querying the events table to see if the
client schedule completed, but that gives a false sense of security as
the schedule completing does not mean the backup completed as far as I know.

What solutions are you all using, or does mmbackup in 5.x update the
filespaceview table?