[gpfsug-discuss] maxStatCache and maxFilesToCache: Tip "gpfs_maxstatcache_low".

Philipp Grau phgrau at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 13 12:41:55 GMT 2020

Hello,

we have a two node NSD cluster based on a DDN system.  Currently we
run Spectrum Scale 5.0.4.1 in an HPC environment.

Mmhealth shows a tip stating "gpfs_maxstatcache_low". Our current settings are:

# mmdiag --config | grep -i cache
 ! maxFilesToCache 3000000
    maxStatCache 10000

maxFilesToCache was tuned during installion and maxStatCache is the
according default value.

After discussing this issue on the german spectumscale meeting, I
understand that it is difficult to give a formula on howto calulate
this values.

But I learnt that a FilesToCache entry costs about 10 kbytes of memory
and a StatCache entry about 500 bytes. And typically maxStatCache
should (obviously) be greater than maxFilesToCache. There is a average
100 GB memory usage on our systems (with a total of 265 GB RAM).

So setting maxStatCache to at least 3000000 should be no problem. But
is that correct or to high/low?

Has anyone some hints or thoughts on this topic? Help is welcome.

Regards,

Philipp

--
 Philipp Grau               | Freie Universitaet Berlin
 phgrau at ZEDAT.FU-Berlin.DE  | Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung