[gpfsug-discuss] Read-only mount option for GPFS version 4.2.3.19

Agostino Funel agostino.funel at enea.it
Wed Mar 4 10:05:26 GMT 2020

Hi,

we have a GPFS cluster version 4.2.3.19. We have seen in the official
"Administration and Programming Reference" (version 4 Release 2.0, pag.
28) that the read-only mount option (-o ro)  is not explicitly cited.
This option is supported in version 5.*.

However we tried, as a test, the -o ro mount option on two clients with
the following SO and kernels

client 1

CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
uname -r
3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64

client 2

CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
uname -r
2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.x86_64

and it worked fine.

The -o ro option is non permanent in the sense that unmounting and
remounting the file system on these clients it turned in r/w original state.

Now, we have the necessity of setting read-only the file system on all
clients of our cluster.

The question is: could we safely use the -o ro option for all clients
even if this option is not cited in the official (v. 4 release 2.0)
documentation?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Agostino Funel

--
Agostino Funel
DTE-ICT-HPC
E-mail: agostino.funel at enea.it
WWW: http://www.afs.enea.it/funel

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate e la casella di posta elettronica da cui e' stata inviata e' da qualificarsi quale strumento aziendale.
La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate (art. 616 c.p, D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 s.m.i. e GDPR Regolamento - UE 2016/679).
Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione. Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only.
Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised (art. 616 c.p, D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 and subsequent amendments and GDPR UE 2016/679).
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail. Thanks.