[gpfsug-discuss] very low read performance in simple spectrum scale/gpfs cluster with a storage-server SAN

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Thu Jun 11 11:13:36 BST 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Giovanni Bracco <giovanni.bracco at enea.it>
wrote:

> > You could potentially still do SRP from QDR nodes, and via NSD for your
> > omnipath nodes. Going via NSD seems like a bit pointless indirection.
>
> not really: both clusters, the 400 OPA nodes and the 300 QDR nodes share
> the same data lake in Spectrum Scale/GPFS so the NSD servers support the
> flexibility of the setup.

Maybe there's something I don't understand, but couldn't you use the
NSD-servers to serve to your
OPA nodes, and then SRP directly for your 300 QDR-nodes??

> At this moment this is the output of mmlsconfig
>
> # mmlsconfig
> Configuration data for cluster GPFSEXP.portici.enea.it:
> clusterName GPFSEXP.portici.enea.it
> clusterId 13274694257874519577
> autoload no
> dmapiFileHandleSize 32
> minReleaseLevel 5.0.4.0
> ccrEnabled yes
> cipherList AUTHONLY
> verbsRdma enable
> verbsPorts qib0/1
> [cresco-gpfq7,cresco-gpfq8]
> verbsPorts qib0/2
> [common]
> pagepool 4G
> adminMode central
>
> File systems in cluster GPFSEXP.portici.enea.it:
> /dev/vsd_gexp2
> /dev/vsd_gexp3

So, trivial close to default config.. assume the same for the client
cluster.

I would correct MaxMBpS -- put it at something reasonable, enable
verbsRdmaSend=yes and
ignorePrefetchLUNCount=yes.

> > 1 MB blocksize is a bit bad for your 9+p+q RAID with 256 KB strip size.
> > When you write one GPFS block, less than a half RAID stripe is written,
> > which means you  need to read back some data to calculate new parities.
> > I would prefer 4 MB block size, and maybe also change to 8+p+q so that
> > one GPFS is a multiple of a full 2 MB stripe.
> >

> >     -jf
>
> we have now added another file system based on 2 NSD on RAID6 8+p+q,
> keeping the 1MB block size just not to change too many things at the
> same time, but no substantial change in very low readout performances,
> that are still of the order of 50 MB/s while write performance are 1000MB/s
>
> Any other suggestion is welcomed!

Maybe rule out the storage, and check if you get proper throughput from
nsdperf?

Maybe also benchmark using "gpfsperf" instead of "lmdd", and show your full
settings -- so that
we see that the benchmark is sane :-)

  -jf