[gpfsug-discuss] Change uidNumber and gidNumber for billions of files

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 23:29:53 BST 2020

On 10/06/2020 16:31, Lohit Valleru wrote:

[SNIP]

 > I might mostly start small with a single lab, and only change files
 > without ACLs. May I know if anyone has a method/tool to find out
which > files/dirs have NFS4 ACLs set? As far as we know - it is just one
 > fileset/lab, but it would be good to confirm if we have them set
 > across any other files/dirs in the filesystem. The usual methods do
 > not seem to work.

Use mmgetacl a file at a time and try and do something with the output?

Tools to manipulate ACL's from on GPFS mounted nodes suck donkey balls,
and have been that way for over a decade. Last time I raised this with
IBM I was told that was by design...

If they are CES then look at it client side from a Windows node?

The alternative is to write something in C that calls gpfs_getacl.

However it was an evening to get a basic UID remap code working in C. It
would not take much more effort to make it handle ACL's. As such I would
work on the premise that there are ACL's and handle it.