[gpfsug-discuss] Client Latency and High NSD Server Load Average

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jun 6 06:38:31 BST 2020

On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 14:24:27 -0000, "Saula, Oluwasijibomi" said:

> But with the RAID 6 writing costs Vladis explained, it now makes sense why the write IO was badly affected...

> Action [1,2,3,4,A] : The only valid responses are characters from this set: [1, 2, 3, 4, A]
> Action [1,2,3,4,A] : The only valid responses are characters from this set: [1, 2, 3, 4, A]
> Action [1,2,3,4,A] : The only valid responses are characters from this set: [1, 2, 3, 4, A]
> Action [1,2,3,4,A] : The only valid responses are characters from this set: [1, 2, 3, 4, A]

And a read-modify-write on each one.. Ouch.

Stuff like that is why making sure program output goes to /var or other local file
system is usually a good thing.

I seem to remember us getting bit by a similar misbehavior in TSM, but I don't
know the details because I was busier with GPFS and LTFS/EE than TSM. Though I
have to wonder how TSM could be a decades-old product and still have
misbehaviors in basic things like failed reads on input prompts...