[gpfsug-discuss] IJ24518: NVME SCSI EMULATION ISSUE - what do do with this announcement, all I get is an APAR number

Billich Heinrich Rainer (ID SD) heinrich.billich at id.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 2 09:14:27 BST 2020

Hello,

I’m quite upset of the form and usefulness of some IBM announcements like this one:

IJ24518: NVME SCSI EMULATION ISSUE

How do I translate an APAR number to the spectrum scale or ess release which fix it? And which versions are affected? Need I to download all Readmes and grep for the APAR number? Or do I just don’t know where to get this information? How do you deal with such announcements? I’m tempted to just open a PMR and ask ☹.

This probably relates to previous posts and RFE for a proper changelog. Excuse if it’s a duplicate or if I did miss the answer in a previous post. Still the quality of  this announcements is not what I expect.

Just for completeness, maybe someone from IBM takes notice:

All I get is an APAR number and the fact that it’s CRITICAL, so I can’t just ignore, but I don’t get

  *   Which ESS versions are affected – all previous or only since a certain version?
  *   What is the first ESS version fixed?
  *   When am I vulnerable– always, or only certain hardware or configurations or ….?
  *   What is the impact – crash due to temporary corruption or permanent data corruption, or metadata or filesystem structure or ..?
  *   How do I know if I’m already affected, what is the fingerprint?
  *   Does a workaround exist?
  *   If this is critical and about a possible data corruption, why isn’t it already indicated in the title/subject but hidden?
  *   why is the error description so cryptic and needs some guessing about the meaning? It’s no sentences, just quick notes. So there is no explicit statement at all.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6203365?myns=s033&mynp=OCSTXKQY&mync=E&cm_sp=s033-_-OCSTXKQY-_-E

Kind regards,

Heiner

--