[gpfsug-discuss] How to install efix with yum ?

Sanchez, Paul Paul.Sanchez at deshaw.com
Wed Jan 15 18:30:26 GMT 2020

Yum generally only wants there to be single version of any package (it is trying to eliminate conflicting provides/depends so that all of the packaging requirements are satisfied).  So this alien packaging practice of installing an efix version of a package over the top of the base version is not compatible with yum.

The real issue for draconian sysadmins like us (whose systems must use and obey yum) is that there are files (*liblum.so) which are provided by the non-efix RPMS, but are not owned by the packages according to the RPM database since they’re purposefully installed outside of RPM’s tracking mechanism.

We work around this by repackaging the three affected RPMS to include the orphaned files from the original RPMs (and eliminating the related but problematic checks from the RPMs’ scripts) so that our efix RPMs have been “un-efix-ified” and will install as expected when using ‘yum upgrade’.  To my knowledge no one’s published a way to do this, so we all just have to figure this out and run rpmrebuild for ourselves.

IBM isn’t the only vendor who is “bad at packaging” from a sysadmin’s point of view, but they are the only one which owns RedHat (who are the de facto masters of RPM/YUM/DNF packaging) so this should probably get better one day. ☺

Thx
Paul