[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 5 and supported rhel OS

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Feb 23 21:58:03 GMT 2020

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 12:20:48 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard said:

> > That's not *quite* so bad.  As long as you trust *all* your vendors to notify
> > you when they release a patch for an issue you hadn't heard about.

> Er, what do you think I am paid for? Specifically it is IMHO the job of
> any systems administrator to know when any critical patch becomes
> available for any software/hardware that they are using.

You missed the point.

Unless you spend your time constantly e-mailing *all* of your vendors
"Are there new patches I don't know about?", you're relying on them to
notify you when there's a known issue, and when a patch comes out.

Redhat is good about notification.  IBM is.

But how about things like your Infiniband stack?  OFED? The firmware in all
your devices? The BIOS/UEFI on the servers? If you're an Intel shop, how do you
get notified about security issues in the Management Engine stuff (and there's
been plenty of them). Do *all* of those vendors have security lists? Are you
subscribed to *all* of them? Do *all* of them actually post to those lists?