[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 5 and supported rhel OS

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 12:20:48 GMT 2020

On 23/02/2020 04:43, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:04:32 +0000, Jonathan Buzzard said:
>
>>> Is that 10 days from vuln dislosure, or from patch availability?
>>>

>> Patch availability. Basically it's a response to the issue a couple of
>
> That's not *quite* so bad.  As long as you trust *all* your vendors to notify
> you when they release a patch for an issue you hadn't heard about.

Er, what do you think I am paid for? Specifically it is IMHO the job of
any systems administrator to know when any critical patch becomes
available for any software/hardware that they are using.

To not be actively monitoring it is IMHO a dereliction of duty, worthy
of a verbal and then written warning.

I also feel that the old practice of leaving HPC systems unpatched for
years on end is no longer acceptable.

 From a personal perspective I have in now over 20 years never had a
system that I have been responsible for knowingly compromised. I would
like it to stay that way because I have no desire to be explaining to
higher ups why the HPC facility was hacked.

The fact that the Scottish government have mandated I apply patches just
makes my life easier because any push back from the users is killed dead
instantly; I have too, go moan at your elective representative if you
want it changed. In the meantime suck it up :-)