[gpfsug-discuss] Unkillable snapshots

Nathan Falk nfalk at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 20 21:26:39 GMT 2020

Hello Simon,

Sadly, that "1036" is not a node ID, but just a counter.

These are tricky to troubleshoot. Usually, by the time you realize it's
happening and try to collect some data, things have already timed out.

Since this mmdelsnapshot isn't something that's on a schedule from cron or
the GUI and is a command you are running, you could try some heavy-handed
data collection.

You suspect a particular fileset already, so maybe have a 'mmdsh -N all
lsof /path/to/fileset' ready to go in one window, and the 'mmdelsnapshot'
ready to go in another window? When the mmdelsnapshot times out, you can
find the nodes it was waiting on in the file system manager
mmfs.log.latest and see what matches up with the open files identified by
lsof.

It sounds like you already know this, but the <c0n42> type of internal
node names in the log messages can be translated with 'mmfsadm dump
tscomm' or also plain old 'mmdiag --network'.

Thanks,

Nate Falk
IBM Spectrum Scale Level 2 Support
Software Defined Infrastructure, IBM Systems