[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 5 and supported rhel OS

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Thu Feb 20 16:59:53 GMT 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 04:29:40PM +0000, Ken Atkinson wrote:
> Fred,
> It may be that some HPC users "have to"
> reverify the results of their computations as being exactly the same as a
> previous software stack and that is not a minor task. Any change may
> require this verification process.....
> Ken Atkjnson

We have this problem too, but at the same time the same people require us
to run supported software and remove software versions with known
vulnerabilities. The compromise we've worked out for the researchers is to
have them track which software versions they used for a particular run/data
release. The researchers who care more will have a validation suite that
will (hopefully) call out problems as we do required upgrades.

At some point, it's simply unrealistic to keep legacy systems around,
though we do have a lab that needs a Solaris/SPARC system just to run a
15-year-old component of a pipeline for which they don't have source code...

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354