[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 5 and supported rhel OS

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 11:23:52 GMT 2020

On 20/02/2020 10:41, Simon Thompson wrote:
> Well, if you were buying some form of extended Life Support for
> Scale, then you might also be expecting to buy extended life for
> RedHat. RHEL6 has extended life support until June 2024. Sure its an
> add on subscription cost, but some people might be prepared to do
> that over OS upgrades.

I would recommend anyone going down that to route to take a *very* close
look at what you get for the extended support. Not all of the OS is
supported, with large chunks being moved to unsupported even if you pay
for the extended support.

Consequently extended support is not suitable for HPC usage in my view,
so start planning the upgrade now. It's not like you haven't had 10
years notice.

If your GPFS is just a storage thing serving out on protocol nodes,
upgrade one node at a time to RHEL7 and then repeat upgrading to GPFS 5.
It's a relatively easy invisible to the users upgrade.