[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 5 and supported rhel OS

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 10:41:17 GMT 2020

Well, if you were buying some form of extended Life Support for Scale, then you might also be expecting to buy extended life for RedHat. RHEL6 has extended life support until June 2024. Sure its an add on subscription cost, but some people might be prepared to do that over OS upgrades.

Simon

On 20/02/2020, 10:34, "gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf of Jonathan Buzzard" <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org on behalf of jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk> wrote:

    On 19/02/2020 23:34, Renata Maria Dart wrote:
    > Hi, I understand gpfs 4.2.3 is end of support this coming September.  The support page
    >
    > https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/STXKQY/gpfsclustersfaq.html#linux__rhelkerntable
    >
    > indicates that gpfs version 5.0 will not run on rhel6 and is unsupported.
    >
    > 1.  Is there extended support available for 4.2.3 on rhel6 for gpfs servers and clients?
    > 2.  Is gpfs 5.0 unsupported for both rhel6 servers and clients?

    Given RHEL6 expires in November anyway you would only be buying yourself
    a couple of months which seems pointless. You need to be moving away
    from both.