[gpfsug-discuss] Odd behaviour with regards to reported free space

Wayne Sawdon wsawdon at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 18 17:37:41 GMT 2020

Deleting a file is a two stage process. The original user thread unlinks
the file from the directory and reduces the link count. If the count is
zero and the file is not open, then it gets queued for the background
deletion thread. The background thread then deletes the blocks and frees
the space. If there is a snapshot, the data blocks may be captured and not
actually freed.  After a crash, the recovery code looks for files that were
being deleted and restarts the deletion if necessary.

-Wayne

gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org wrote on 02/18/2020 06:05:41 AM:

> From: TURNER Aaron <aaron.turner at ed.ac.uk>
> To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
> Date: 02/18/2020 06:05 AM
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Odd behaviour with regards
> to reported free space
> Sent by: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org
>
> Dear Jonathan,
>
> This is what I had assumed was the case. Since the system ended up
> with an enforced reboot before we had time for further investigation
> I wasn't able to confirm this.
>
> > I can be very confusing for end users, especially when what is
> holding onto the file is some random zombie process on another node
> that died last month.
>
> Yes, that's very likely to have been the case.
>
> Regards
>
> Aaron Turner

siA1ZOg&r=GtPIT10cORUM6qwFnTVtIiDUFmESkxW3I0wu8GDxmgc&m=QkF9KAzl1dxqONkEkh7ZLNsDYktsFHJCkI2oGi6qyHk&s=_Z-