[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum scale yum repos - any chance to the number of repos

Billich Heinrich Rainer (ID SD) heinrich.billich at id.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 10 11:09:56 GMT 2020

Hello,

Does it work to  merge “all” Spectrum Scale rpms of one version in one yum repo, can I merge rpms from different versions in the same repo, even different architectures? Yum repos for RedHat, Suse, Debian or application repos like EPEL all manage to keep many rpms and all different versions in a few repos. Spreading the few Spectrum Scale rpms for rhel across about 11 repos for each architecture  and version seems overly complicated – and makes it difficult to use RedHat Satellite to distribute the software ;-(

Does anyone have experiences or opinions with this ‘single repo’ approach ? Does something break if we use it?

We run a few clusters  where up to now each runs its own yum server.  We want to consolidate with RedHat Satellite for os and scale provisioning/updates.
RedHat Satellite having just one repo for _all_ versions would fit much better. And may just separate repos for base (including protocols), object and hdfs (which we don’t use).

My wish:
The number of repos should no grow with the number of versions provided and adding a new version should not require to setup new yum repos.

I know you can workaround and script, but would be easier if I wouldn’t need to.

Regards,
Heiner