[gpfsug-discuss] When is a file system log recovery triggered

Billich Heinrich Rainer (ID SD) heinrich.billich at id.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 3 08:56:09 GMT 2020

Hello,

 Does mmshutdown or mmumount trigger a file system log recovery, same as a node failure or daemon crash do?

Last week we got this advisory:

IBM Spectrum Scale (GPFS) 5.0.4 levels: possible metadata or data corruption during file system log recovery
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/1274428?myns=s033&mynp=OCSTXKQY&mync=E&cm_sp=s033-_-OCSTXKQY-_-E

You need a file system log recovery running to potentially trigger the issue. When does a  file system log recovery run? For sure on any unexpected mmfsd/os crash for mounted filesystems, or on connection loss,  but what if we do a clean  'mmshutdown' or 'mmumount' - I assume this will cause the client to nicely finish all outstanding transactions and return the empty logfile, hence non log recovery will take place is we do a normal os shutdown/reboot, too? Or am I wrong and Spectrum Scale treats all cases the same way?

I asked because the advisory states that a node reboot will trigger a log recovery - until we upgraded to 5.0.4-2 we'll try to avoid log recoveries:

  > Log recovery happens after a node failure (daemon assert, expel, quorum loss, kernel panic, or node reboot).

Thank you,

Heiner
--
Heinrich Billich