[gpfsug-discuss] Future of Spectrum Scale support for Centos

Stephen Ulmer ulmer at ulmer.org
Wed Dec 9 21:27:34 GMT 2020

I have some hope about this… not a lot, but there is one path where it could go well:

In particular, I’m hoping that after CentOS goes stream-only RHEL goes release-only, with regular (weekly?) minor release that are actually versioned together (as opposed to “here are some fixes for RHEL 8.x, good luck explaining where you are without a complete package version map”). The entire idea of a “stream” for enterprise customers is ludicrous.

If you are using the CentOS stream, there should be nothing preventing you from locking in at whatever package versions are in the RHEL release you want to be like. If those get published we’re not entirely in the same spot as before, but not completely screwed. TO say it another way, I hope that CentOS Stream will replace RHEL 8 Stream, and that RHEL 8 Stream will go away.

Hopefully that works out, otherwise the RHEL install base will begin shrinking because there will be no free place to start.

I am not employed by, and do not speak for IBM (or even myself if my wife is in the room).

--
Stephen