[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale 5.1.0.1 Object install / Redhat repos.

Christian Vieser christian.vieser at 1und1.de
Tue Dec 8 10:42:31 GMT 2020

Hi all,

yesterday I just had the same thoughts as Andi. Monday morning, and very
happy to see the long awaited 5.1.0.1 release on FixCentral.

And then: WTF! First there is no object in 5.1.0.0 at all, and then in
5.1.0.1 all dependencies are missing! And not one single sentence about
this in release notes or Readme. Nothing! No explanation that they are
missing, why they are missing and where to find the officials repo for them.

Today Simon saved my day:

Simon Thompson wrote:

> Codeready I think you can just enable with subscription-manager, but
> it is disabled by default. RHOSP is an additional license. But as it
> says “typically”, one might assume using the community releases is
> also possible,
>
> e.g. : http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/cloud/x86_64/openstack-victoria/

Since IBM support told me months ago, that 5.1 will be based on the
train release, I added the repo
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/cloud/x86_64/openstack-train/ on my
test server and now the 5.1.0.1 object rpms installed successfully.
Question remains, if we should stay on the Train packages or if we can /
should use the newer packages from Openstack Victoria.

But now I read the upgrade instructions at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY_5.1.0/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v5r10.doc/bl1ins_updateobj424.htm
and all hope is gone. No rolling upgrade if your cluster is running
object protocol. You have to upgrade to RHEL8 / CentOS8 first, for
upgrading the Spectrum Scale object packages a downtime for the object
service has to be scheduled.

And yes, here, hided in the upgrade instructions we can find the
information about the needed repos:

Ensure that the following system repositories are enabled.

|openstack-16-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms
codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms|

So, I'm very curious now, if I can manage to do a rolling upgrade of my
test cluster from CentOS 7 to CentOS 8 and Spectrum Scale 5.0.5 to
5.1.0.1 core + NFS and then upgrading the object part while having all
other services up and running. I will report here.

Regards,

Christian