[gpfsug-discuss] memory needed for gpfs clients

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 19:30:21 GMT 2020

On 01/12/2020 19:07, Christopher Black wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated outside the University. Check before clicking links or attachments.
>
> We tune vm-related sysctl values on our gpfs clients.
> These are values we use for 256GB+ mem hpc nodes:
> vm.min_free_kbytes=2097152
> vm.dirty_bytes = 3435973836
> vm.dirty_background_bytes = 1717986918
>  > The vm.dirty parameters are to prevent NFS from buffering huge
> amounts of writes and then pushing them over the network all at once
> flooding out gpfs traffic.
>  > I'd also recommend checking client gpfs parameters pagepool and/or
> pagepoolMaxPhysMemPct to ensure you have a reasonable and understood
> limit for how much memory mmfsd will use.

We take a different approach and tackle it from the other end. Basically
we use slurm to limit user processes to 4GB per core which we find is
more than enough for 99% of jobs. For people needing more then there are
some dedicated large memory nodes with 3TB of RAM. We have seen well
over 1TB of RAM being used by a single user on occasion (generating
large meshes usually). I don't think there is any limit on RAM on those
nodes

The compute nodes are dual Xeon 6138 with 192GB of RAM, which works out
at 4.8GB of RAM. Basically it stops the machines running out of RAM for
*any* administrative tasks not just GPFS.

We did originally try running it closer to the wire but it appears
anecdotally cgroups is not perfect and it is possible for users to get a
bit over their limits, so we lowered it back down to 4GB per core.
Noting that is what the tender for the machine was, but due to number of
DIMM slots and and cores in the CPU, we ended up with a bit more RAM per
core.

We have had no memory starvation issues now in ~2 years since we went
down to 4GB per core for jobs.