[gpfsug-discuss] Protocol limits

leslie elliott leslie.james.elliott at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:45:22 GMT 2020

hi all

we run a large number of shares from CES servers connected to a single
scale cluster
we understand the current supported limit is 1000 SMB shares, we run the
same number of NFS shares

we also understand that using external CES cluster to increase that limit
is not supported based on the documentation, we use the same authentication
for all shares, we do have additional use cases for sharing where this
pathway would be attractive going forward

so the question becomes if we need to run 20000 SMB and NFS shares off a
scale cluster is there any hardware design we can use to do this whilst
maintaining support

I have submitted a support request to ask if this can be done but thought I
would ask the collective good if this has already been solved

thanks

leslie