[gpfsug-discuss] wait for mount during gpfs startup

Ulrich Sibiller u.sibiller at science-computing.de
Thu Apr 30 12:14:07 BST 2020

Am 28.04.20 um 13:38 schrieb Jonathan Buzzard:
> Yuck, and double yuck. There are many things you can say about systemd
> (and I have a choice few) but one of them is that it makes this sort of
> hackery obsolete. At least that is one of it goals.
>
> A systemd way to do it would be via one or more helper units. So lets
> assume your GPFS file system is mounted on /gpfs, then create a file
> called ismounted.txt on it and then create a unit called say
> gpfs_mounted.target that looks like
>

> # gpfs_mounted.target
> [Unit]
> TimeoutStartSec=infinity
> ConditionPathExists=/gpfs/ismounted.txt
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/sleep 10
> RemainAfterExit=yes
>
> Then the main unit gets
>
> Wants=gpfs_mounted.target
> After=gpfs_mounted.target
>
> If you are using scripts in systemd you are almost certainly doing it
> wrong :-)

Yes, that the right direction. But still not the way I'd like it to be. First, I don't really like
the flag file stuff. Imagine the mess you'd create if multiple services would require flag files...

Second, I am looking for an all_local target. That one cannot be solved using this approach, right?
(same for all_remote or all)

Uli

--
Science + Computing AG