[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale licensing - important correction

T.A. Yeep yeep at robust.my
Fri Apr 17 15:01:05 BST 2020

Hi JAB,

Sound interesting, however, I'm actually a newcomer to Scale, I wish I
could share the joy of mixing that. I guess maybe it is something similar
to LSF RVU/UVUs? Thanks for sharing your experience anyway.

Hi Carl,

I just want to let you know that I have got your explanation, and I
understand it now. Thanks.

Not sure If I should always reply a "thank you" or "I've got it" in the
mailing list, or better just do it privately. Same I'm new to mailing list
too, so please let me know if I should not reply it publicly.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jonathan Buzzard <
jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 17/04/2020 11:31, T.A. Yeep wrote:
> > Hi Carl,
> >
> > I'm confused here, in the previous email it was said *And for ESS, it is
> > licensed Per Drive with different prices for HDDs and SSDs.*
> >
> > But then you mentioned in below email that:
> > But new customers and new OEM systems are *all licensed by Capacity.
> > This also applies to IBM's own ESS*: you can keep upgrading your old (if
> > hardware is supported) gen 1 ESS on Sockets, but if you replace it with
> > *a new ESS, that will come with capacity licenses*.
> >
> > Now the question, ESS is license per Drive or by capacity?
> >

> Well by drive is "capacity" based licensing unless you have some sort of
> magical infinite capacity drives :-)
>
> Under the PVU scheme if you know what you are doing you could game the
> system. For example get a handful of servers get PVU licenses for them
> create a GPFS file system handing off the back using say Fibre Channel
> and cheap FC attached arrays (Dell MD3000 series springs to mind) and
> then hang many PB off the back. I could using this scheme create a 100PB
> filesystem for under a thousand PVU of GPFS server licenses. Add in
> another cluster for protocol nodes and if you are not mounting on HPC
> nodes that's a winner :-)
>
> In a similar manner I use a pimped out ancient Dell R300 with dual core
> Xeon for backing up my GPFS filesystem because it's 100PVU of TSM
> licensing and I am cheap, and besides it is more than enough grunt for
> the job. A new machine would be 240 PVU minimum (4*70). I plan on
> replacing the PERC SAS6 card with a H710 and new internal cabling to run
> RHEL8 :-)
>

> JAB.
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420
> HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.
> University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building, Glasgow. G4 0NG

Best regards

*T.A. Yeep*Mobile: 016-719 8506 | Tel/Fax: 03-6261 7237 | www.robusthpc.com