[gpfsug-discuss] Spectrum Scale licensing

Lehmann, Greg (IM&T, Pullenvale) Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au
Fri Apr 17 00:48:18 BST 2020

Plus one.

It is not just volume licensing. The socket licensing costs have gone through the roof, at least in Australia. IBM tempts you with a cheap introduction and then once you are hooked, ramps up the price. They are counting on the migration costs outweighing the licensing fee increases. Unfortunately, our management won't stand for this business approach, so we get to do the migrations (boring as the proverbial bat ... you know what.)

I think this forum is a good place to discuss it. IBM and customers on here need to know all about it. It is a user group after all and moving away from a product is part of the lifecycle.

We were going to use GPFS for HPC scratch but went to market and ended up with BeeGFS. Further pricing pressure has meant GPFS is being phased out in all areas. We split our BeeGFS cluster of NVMe servers in half on arrival and have been trying other filesystems on half of it. We were going to try GPFS ECE but given the pricing we have been quoted have decided not to waste our time. We are gearing up to try Lustre on it. We have also noted the feature improvements with Lustre.

Maybe if IBM had saved the money that a rebranding costs (GPFS to Spectrum Scale) they would not have had to crank up the price of GPFS?

Cheers,

Greg