[gpfsug-discuss] THINK Virtual User Group Day

Simon Thompson (Spectrum Scale User Group Chair) chair at spectrumscale.org
Wed Apr 29 22:29:34 BST 2020

Hi All,

As part of IBM’s THINK digital event, there will be a virtual user group day. This isn’t an SSUG event, though we’ve been involved in some of the discussion about the topics for the event. Three of the four Storage sessions are focussed on Spectrum Scale. For storage this will be taking place on May 19th.

 Details of how to register for this event and the planned sessions are below (though I guess are still subject to change).

Separately to this, the SSUG organisers are still in discussion about how we might present some sort of digital SSUG event, it won’t be a half/full day of talks, but likely a series of talks … but we’re still working through the details with Ulf and the IBM team about how it might work.

And if you are interested in THINK, this is free to register for this year as a digital only event https://www.ibm.com/events/think … I promise this is my only reference to THINK 😊

Simon

The registration site for the user group day is https://ibm-usergroups.bemyapp.com/

Storage Session 1

Title
IBM Spectrum Scale: Use Cases and Field Lessons-learned with Kubernetes and OpenShift

Abstract
IBM Spectrum Scale user group leaders will discuss how to deploy IBM Spectrum Scale using Kubernetes and OpenShift, persistent volumes, IBM Storage Enabler for Containers, Kubernetes FlexVolume Drivers and IBM Spectrum Connect. We'll review real-world IBM Spectrum Scale use cases including advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), cloud service providers (CSP), dev/test and multi-cloud. We'll also review most often-requested client topics including unsupported CSI platforms, security, multi-tenancy and how to deploy Spectrum Scale in heterogenous environments such as x86, IBM Power, and IBM Z by using IBM Cloud Private and OpenShift. Finally we'll describe IBM resources such as regional storage competency centers, training, testing labs and IBM Lab Services.

Presenter
Harald Seipp, Senior Technical Staff Member, Center of Excellence for Cloud Storage

Storage Session 2

Title
How to Efficiently Manage your Hadoop and Analytics Workflow with IBM Spectrum Scale

Abstract
This in-depth technical talk will compare traditional Hadoop vs. IBM Spectrum Scale through Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) on IBM Spectrum Scale, HDFS storage tiering & federation, HDFS backup, using IBM Spectrum Scale as an ingest tier, next generation workloads, disaster recovery and fault-tolerance using a single stretch cluster or multiple clusters using active file management (AFM), as well as HDFS integration within Cluster Export Services (CES).

Presenter
Andreas Koeninger, IBM Spectrum Scale Big Data and Analytics

Storage Session 3

Title
IBM Spectrum Scale: How to enable AI Workloads with OpenShift and IBM Spectrum Scale

Abstract
IBM Spectrum Scale user group leaders will deliver a in-depth technical presentation covering the enterprise AI data pipeline from ingest to insights, how to manage workloads at scale, how to integrate OpenShift 4.x and IBM Spectrum Scale 5.0.4.1, as well as preparing and installing the IBM Spectrum Scale CSI driver in OpenShift. We will also cover Kubernetes/OpenShift persistent volumes and use cases for provisioning with IBM Spectrum Scale CSI for AI workloads. Finally we will feature a demo of IBM Spectrum Scale CSI and TensorFlow in OpenShift 4.x.

Presenters
Gero Schmidt, IBM Spectrum Scale Development, Big Data Analytics Solutions
Przemyslaw Podfigurny, IBM Spectrum Scale Development, AI/ML Big Data and Analytics

Storage Session 4

Title
Journey to Modern Data Protection for a Large Manufacturing Client

Abstract
In this webinar, we will discuss how industrial manufacturing organizations are addressing data protection. We will look at why holistic data protection is a critical infrastructure component and how modernization can provide a foundation for the future. We will share how customers are leveraging the IBM Spectrum Protect portfolio to address their IT organization's data protection, business continuity with software-defined data protection solutions. We will discuss various applications including data reuse, as well as providing instant access to data which can help an organization be more agile and reduce downtime.

Presenters
Adam Young, Russell Dwire