[gpfsug-discuss] Ganesha daemon has 400'000 open files - is this unusual?

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 24 21:41:07 BST 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 08:52:34 -0000, "Billich Heinrich Rainer (ID SD)" said:
> Just some addition, maybe its of interest to someone:  The number of max open
> files for Ganesha is based on maxFilesToCache. Its. 80%of maxFilesToCache up to
> an upper and lower limits of 2000/1M. The active setting is visible in
> /etc/sysconfig/ganesha.

Note that strictly speaking, the values in /etc/sysconfig are in general the
values that will be used at next restart - it's totally possible for the system
to boot, the then-current values be picked up from /etc/sysconfig, and then any
number of things, from configuration automation tools like Ansible, to a
cow-orker sysadmin armed with nothing but /usr/bin/vi, to have changed the
values without you knowing about it and the daemons not be restarted yet...

(Let's just say that in 4 decades of doing this stuff, I've been surprised by that
sort of thing a few times.  :)