[gpfsug-discuss] VerbsReconnectThread waiters

Joseph Mendoza jam at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 13 17:07:01 BST 2019

I have seen these on our cluster after the IB network goes down (GPFS still runs over ethernet) and then comes back up.
They will retry forever it seems, even after the IB is healthy again.  The effect they seem to have is that verbs
connections between some nodes breaks and GPFS uses ethernet/ipoib instead.  You may see messages in your
mmfs.log.latest about verbs being disabled "due to too many errors".  You can also see fewer verbs connections between
nodes in "mmfsadm test verbs conn" output.

Restarting GPFS on the nodes with waiters has fixed the issue for me, I don't know if IBM has any other tricks to fix
this without a restart.

--Joey