[gpfsug-discuss] Anyone have experience with changing NSD server node name in an ESS/DSS cluster?

Keith Ball bipcuds at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:29:28 BST 2019

Hi All,

We are thinking of attempting a non-destructive change of NSD server node
names in a Lenovo DSS cluster (DSS level 1.2a, which has Scale 4.2.3.5).
For a non-GNR cluster, changing a node name for an NSD server isn't a huge
deal if you can have a backup server serve up disks; one can mmdelnode then
mmaddnode, for instance.

Has anyone tried to rename the NSD servers in a GNR cluster, however? I am
not sure if it's as easy as failing over the recovery group, and
deleting/adding the NSD server. It's easy enough to modify xcat. Perhaps
mmchrecoverygroup can be used to change the RG names (since they are named
after the NSD servers), but that might not be necessary. Or, it might not
work - does anyone know if there is a special process to change NSD server
names in an E( or D or G)SS cluster that does not run afoul of GNR or
upgrade scripts?

Best regards,
  Keith