[gpfsug-discuss] default owner and group for POSIX ACLs

Paul Ward p.ward at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Oct 15 13:34:33 BST 2019

We are in the process of changing the way GPFS assigns UID/GIDs from internal tdb to using AD RIDs with an offset that matches our linux systems.
We, therefore, need to change the ACLs for all the files in GPFS (up to 80 million).
We are running in mixed ACL mode, with some POSIX and some NFSv4 ACLs being applied.
(This system was set up 14 years ago and has changed roles over time)
We are running on linux, so need to have POSIX permissions enabled.

What I want to know for those in a similar environment, what do you have as the POSIX owner and group, when NFSv4 ACLs are in use?
root:root

or do you have all files owned by a filesystem administrator account and group:
<ad service account>:<ad fileserver admin group>

on our samba shares we have :
admin users = @<ad fileserver admin group>
So don't actually need the group defined in POSIX.

Kindest regards,
Paul

Paul Ward
TS Infrastructure Architect