[gpfsug-discuss] Quotas and AFM

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 11 18:43:15 BST 2019

Does anyone have any good resources or experience with quotas and AFM caches?

Our scenario is that we have an AFM home one one site, an AFM cache on another site, and then a client cluster on that remote site that mounts the cache. The AFM filesets are IW. One of them contains our home directories, which have a quota set on the home side. Quotas were disabled entirely on the cache side (I enabled them recently, but did not set them to anything).

What I believe we’re running into is scary long AFM queues that are caused by people writing an amount that is over the home quota to the cache, but the cache is accepting it and then failing to sync back to the home because the user is at their hard limit. I believe we’re also seeing delays on unaffected users who are not over their quota, but that’s harder to tell. We have the AFM gateways poorly/not tuned, so that is likely interacting.

Is there any way to make the quotas apparent to the cache cluster too, beyond setting a quota there as well, or do I just fundamentally misunderstand this in some other way? We really just want the quotas on the home cluster to be enforced everywhere, more or less.

Thanks!

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'