[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs client and turning off swap

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Nov 8 21:15:12 GMT 2019

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:25:24 -0600, Damir Krstic said:

> I was wondering if it's safe to turn off swap on gpfs client machines? we
> have a case where checkpointing is swapping and we would like to prevent it
> from doing so by disabling swap. However, the gpfs manual admin.

GPFS will work just fine without a swap space if the system has sufficient RAM.
However, if checkpointing is swapping, you don't have enough RAM (at least with
your current configuration), and turning off swap will result in processes being
killed due to lack of memory.

You *might* get it to work by tuning system config variables to reduce RAM
consumption.  But that's better tested while you still have swap defined, and
not removing swap until you have a system not needing it.