[gpfsug-discuss] introduction

Peters, Bill WPeters at ATPCO.NET
Wed Nov 20 18:16:23 GMT 2019

Hello,
The welcome email said I should introduce myself to the group.

I'm Bill Peters, a Linux engineer at ATPCO (Airline Tariff Publishing Company)
located in Dulles, Virginia, USA. We process airline fare data.

I've was recently introduced to Spectrum Scale because we are doing a proof of
concept to see if we can move some of our workload onto virtual machines
running in IBM's zVM. Our x86 systems use Veritas for the network filesystem
and since Veritas doesn't support the s390 arcitecture, we are using Spectrum
Scale. So far it's been great, much easier to understand than Veritas. We're
not doing anything too complicated. The disks are DASD on SSD. We have 3
clusters with sharing between them. At this point I expect the POC to be
successful so I will probably be working with Spectrum Scale into the future.

The only question I have so far is read speeds seem to be slower than Veritas.
It's not slow enough to be a real problem, but if anyone has a suggestion for
speeding up reads, I'd love to hear it.

Other than that, I'll probably just be lurking on the email list.

Thanks,
-Bill