[gpfsug-discuss] Metadata space usage NFS4 vs POSIX ACL

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Tue May 7 17:14:49 BST 2019

On Tue, 2019-05-07 at 14:35 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:

[SNIP]

> It gets slightly more annoying as nfs4-setfacl does not work with
> Spectrum Scale and you have to use mmputacl which has no recursive
> flag, I even found a ibm article from a few years ago saying the best
> way to set acls is to use find, and a temporary file..... The other
> workaround they suggest is to update acls from windows or nfs to get
> the right.

I am working on making my solution to that production ready. I decided
after doing a proof of concept with the Linux nfs4_[get|set]facl
commands using the FreeBSD getfacl/setfacl commands as a basis would be
better as it could both POSIX and NFSv4 ACL's out the same program.

Noting initial version will be something of a bodge where we translate
between the existing programs representation of the ACL and the GPFS
version as we read/write the ACL's. Longer term the code will need
refactoring to use the GPFS structs throughout I feel.

Progress depends on my spare time.